Contents

Page488

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page488
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION Utah). He was admitted without charge with the understanding that he would take a Normal course in order to teach in the public schools. Along with 12 others in his class, he earned a diploma and had the distinction of being valedictorian of his graduating class. He became interested in newspaper work in 1891 almost by accident. Because he had returned from a mission in England for the Latter-day Saints Church too late to secure a teaching assignment in that school year, he accepted a bookkeeping position with the the Logan Journal. He would remain in newspapering for the rest of his active years. Founded in 1882 as the Utah Journal, the newspaper became the property of R. W. Sloan in 1889 and its name was changed to Logan Journal Two years later he relinquished it to a group of non-newspaper people who employed England as their office representative. In 1894, deciding they were too occupied with other matters to give proper attention to the paper, the group leased it to co-partners England and Jesse Earl, the composing room foreman. In 1900, the two acquired co-ownership. An early claim to fame for the Logan newspaper was its conversion to electric power for the operation of its presses in 1896 - a change made possible by Logan's pioneering entry into hydroelectric power generation. No other Utah newspaper was then printed with electrically-driven presses. Other mechanical improvements were made from year to year and the Journal became known for having one of the best equipped plants in the state. Thanks to the skills of Augustus Gordon, a 40-year old editor who joined the staff in 1897, it was also recognized for the quality of its journalism. England and Earl made their publication a daily on January 1, 1917. Gordon would remain the editor until his death on November 10,1929. Merger of the weekly South Cache Courier and Smithfteld Sentinel by owners Jacob A. Wahlen and Ralph R. Channell on December 11, 1925 went virtually unnoticed by the Logan daily, but the future impact would be significant. The paper, renamed the Cache Valley Herald, gradually converted from a 488
Format application/pdf
Identifier 495-UPA_Page488.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416499
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416499