Contents

Page49

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page49
Description THE TERRITORY'S EARLIEST NEWSPAPERS equipment of the abandoned Myton Free Press and moved it to Lehi to create a mechanical plant. He was in charge until 1945, when the paper was sold to a three-member partnership consisting of William Adamson, James P. Heal and John Leyland. Heal bought his partners' shares on April 4, 1946 and on July 1 of that year sold a half interest to E. Russell Innes. On February 9, 1948, Innes acquired the publication as its sole publisher. The Free Press then became Lehi's only paper when he purchased the Sun on May 12, 1949. Newtah, Inc., a California-based group headed by Robert Cribb of Camarillo, bought the Free Press, along with the American Fork Citizen, from Innes on January 1, 1979. Mike Stansfield of Price became the publisher, remaining until moving to Cedar City on May 1, 1980. He was succeeded by Ken Harvey, who guided the paper tandem until December 29, 1980 when the reins were turned over to staff member Brett Bezzant. During Harvey's regime, on September 5, 1980, Newtah, Inc. added the Pleasant Grove Review to its publications. Bezzant, a lifelong Utah County resident, purchased the publishing firm on March 1, 1982 and later changed its name to Newtah News Group. Gaisford and Kirkham of the Banner and Innes of the Free Press are all members of the Newspaper Hall of Fame. Provo Daily Herald Utah County's long-lasting daily travels a somewhat indirect path to its roots, but they existed, though under a different name, at the time of UPA's founding. Because they did, the Herald can lay claim to being the state's third-oldest newspaper. Twenty five papers were published in the county's largest city during early days, the first the Provo Daily Times, founded August 1,1873. Through a convoluted sequence of mastheads 49
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 061-UPA_Page49.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416060
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416060