Contents

Page462

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page462
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION prominently on page one. He was both forthright and forceful in expressing his opinion and voter-support usually followed. Not always did he sway the voter, however. After serving a term in the Utah Legislature, Claybaugh's bid for re-election encountered opposition in the Republican primary. He paid for his own political advertising in his newspapers and in the editorial columns discussed other races, but not the one in which he was involved. His final advertisement, four days before the vote, concluded: "I leave my case in your hands. If I'm wrong, vote against me. Actually, you'll be doing me a favor if you do because the $500 annual salary plus $3 per day while the Legislature is in session and the $12 travel expense, paid one time only, hardly meets the expenses and I have to hire someone to take my place while I'm gone. The taxpayers won't take care of that for me, or I'd be a lot more eager. You voters make the decision; either way, I can stand it if you can." A week later, his column, 'Personally Speaking ... by CWC,' was back in its customary position and carried this observation concerning his election defeat: "Of course I was disappointed. I didn't know there were so many people who didn't agree with my personal beliefs. But I'm very grateful that 44 percent of the Republican voters had enough confidence in me to give me their support. And I can always feel the other 56 percent voted the way they did just because they'd miss me so much while I was meeting with the Legislature!" 'Personally Speaking' was a trifle unique in its style, for it consisted of one-paragraph thoughts, each separated by a '30 dash.' It didn't appear consistently in the Journal; sometimes dropping out of sight for a month at a time. Still, it was well-accepted by the readers ~ in part, no doubt, because it reflected the editor/publisher's often humorous views and his apparent refusal to become too perturbed over daily happenings. Clay often utilized 'one-liners' to make his point, to wit: "A mule can't pull while he's kicking; neither can he kick while he's pulling." And, "When a man is too big for the little things, he's likely to be too little for the big things." Jesting with city officials, he pointed out one week: "// you're depending on the courthouse clock to give you the correct 462
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 469-UPA_Page462.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416473
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416473