Contents

Page44

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page44
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION Scripps, a principal in the Scripps-Canfield group, chose to sell rather than engage in a newspaper war. Conover paid $1,000 for the Herald. The fact it had no printing plant posed no problem since he possessed most of the necessary equipment. Conover then revived the Eureka Reporter in 1948 and acquired the Mt. Pleasant Pyramid in 1950. He skillfully guided the three papers until 1967, when he was elected County Assessor and surrendered the reins to his son, Martin. Summit County Bee This Mountain country weekly traces its history to the Coalville Chronicle, established June 11, 1892 by C. S. Austin and E. E. Newell, the latter listed as editor and publisher. The paper was also known as the Summit Chronicle during its early years. Austin was the co-founder of the Park City Miner and the Chronicle was produced in the plant of that paper. John Boyden replaced Austin on the masthead in 1893 and the Chronicle later fell on difficult times. In a February 16, 1894 reorganization, F. M. Pinneo was named editor and manager and the paper's name was changed to the Coalville Times. On January 25, 1895 the Iron County Record commented, "The Coalville Times is rapidly becoming one of the best weekly papers published in Utah." At the turn of the century, Charles R. Jones and E. H. Rhead were editor and business manager, respectively, Jones "doubling in brass" as Justice of the Peace and County Surveyor. A succession of publishers followed. Included, circa 1908, was the partnership of Peterson and Chester, neither of whom was further identified by given name or initials. Peterson, though, may have been N. J. Peterson, listed as editor from 1912 through 1918. Charles Ruble (1919) and then beginning in 1920, Harry Webb followed before Mrs. Clement B. (Edna) Wallace became the publisher in 1923 and renamed the paper the Summit County Bee. She and her husband also launched the Morgan 44
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 056-UPA_Page44.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416055
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416055