Contents

Page31

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page31
Description THE TERRITORY'S EARLIEST NEWSPAPERS John Stahle became its editor and later its co-owner. Then, on June 28, 1894, when Call decided to concentrate his efforts on commercial printing, the editor became the full owner. More than a century later the paper, which was renamed the Davis County Clipper, is still in his family. Stahle1 s son, John, Jr., joined the publication in 1932 and upon his father's demise, August 23, 1954, assumed publishing duties. With his wife, Lucile, as an active staff member, he continued to head the paper until his death on December 28, 1990. Son Gail then became the owner and publisher. John Stahle, Sr. is enshrined in the Utah Newspaper Hall of Fame. The Deseret News Not only Utah's, but the Mountain West's first newspaper, it has been published with but brief interruptions since its founding on June 15, 1850. Its first publisher, Dr. Willard Richards, announced in the initial issue, "We propose to publish a small weekly sheet, as large as our local circumstances will permit, to be called "Deseret News," designed originally to record the passing events of our State, and in connexion, (sic) refer to the arts and sciences, embracing general education, medicine, law, divinity, domestic and political economy, and everything that may fall under our observation, which tend to promote the best interest, welfare, pleasure and amusement of our fellow citizens." A small sheet it was, indeed. Its pages measured 7.25"x9.75". The paper was limited by meagre equipment, inadequate supplies of paper and ink and only sketchy, mostly verbal, information on which to base news from 'the States.' In an effort to solve the paper shortage, operation of a mill located on Big Cottonwood Creek was undertaken in 1851. It met with modest success and continued for more than a dozen years, manufacturing most of its product from rags. Meanwhile, overcoming its early struggles, at times produced only on alternate weeks and once suspended for several weeks, the Deseret News persisted and on November 21, 1867 began daily 31
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 043-UPA_Page31.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416042
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416042