Contents

Page83

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page83
Description YOUNG" PAPERS THAT ACTUALLY ARE OLD than Brigham City deserved, but too good to remain there," moved its operations to Ogden on April 12, 1899. And to its demise in "the graveyard of Western journalism." CASTLE DALE The Emery County Progress has had a long succession of owners since it was founded September 15, 1900 by brothers Robert W. and John A. Crockett, the former a Hall of Fame publisher. They printed early issues in their Eastern Utah Advocate plant at Price. The first Castle Dale paper, the Castle Valley News, began and closed in 1895; the second, the Emery County Pioneer, was launched at the outset of 1898 and was an early failure. Its co-publisher, A. E. Jamieson, tried again with its successor, the Emery County Record, in 1899 but after a year sold his plant to the Crocketts. They then began printing in Castle Dale and sold the paper on October 20, 1900 to H. T. Haines. Thereafter the publication changed hands several times. David S. Williams, a well-travelled newsman who in addition to Utah left his mark on Nevada, Wyoming, Idaho and California journalism, had a comparatively lengthy tenure, as did M. B. Roberts and his sister, Enid, who continued as the publisher after her brother's death. Ray M. Williams had been the owner for 12 years when the paper was acquired in June, 1956 by Clarin D. Ashby. The purchase launched Ashby's 22-year publishing career, which would include the Green River Leader and the Uintah Basin Standard. On August 1, 1965, Ashby sold the paper, now named the Progress-Leader, to Kimble Larsen, who was its publisher until February 1, 1975. At that time it was purchased by the Price Sun-Advocate organization under the corporate name Sun-Progress, Inc. That group was transferred successively to George Hatch of Communications Investment Corporation (1981), Hometown Communications, Inc. (1989) and to Brehm Communications (1996). The latter firm, with Kevin Ashby, eldest son of Clarin, as publisher, operates the Castle Dale paper today. 83
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 094-UPA_Page83.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416094
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416094