Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL

Page Metadata

Title Page84
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION DELTA-FILLMORE Today's Millard County Chronicle Progress is a merger of papers which were published for many years in Delta and Fillmore. The Progress, launched February 1, 1894 in Fillmore, is the older of the two, in keeping with that community being established many years before Delta. J. P. Jacobson was editor and manager, acting for a group of eight men, none of whom were newspaper-oriented. Jacobson had briefly been associated with the Millard County Blade at Deseret before coming to Fillmore and, in fact, bought the equipment of that paper in order to start the Fillmore publication. A succession of owners followed. Lorenzo W. and Arthur F. Gaisford were editors and publishers in 1896-98 and Lorenzo alone had it until the beginning of the new century. Merged with the neighboring Clear Lake Review early in 1901, it became the Progress-Review with C. W. Aldrach the manager and S. A. Greenwood the editor. Co-published in 1905 by the team of Knapp and Frampton, whose first names have been lost to history, the paper was then successively owned by Christian Anderson (1908-12) and Joseph Smith, who sold it January 24, 1919 to James H. Mountford. On November 20, 1925, the Progress was purchased by local residents E. Vance Wilson, an attorney, and his wife, Jane. An Iowa native, Wilson had lived in Fillmore since 1919, first as a teacher, then a lawyer. His wife, the former Jane McBride, was a lifelong Fillmore resident. They were co-publishers until his death in 1962, after which Mrs. Wilson formed a partnership with their son, William, who had joined the paper in 1953. In 1970 a merger took place with the Millard County Chronicle ofDelta, creating the Chronicle Progress. Bill Wilson moved to the Indio, California Daily News in 1978 but his mother continued to be active in the Fillmore paper until her death, September 10, 1980. The Chronicle dates to July 4, 1910 when it was launched by Norman B. Dresser. It was not in Delta, however, for two names -- Burtner and Aiken - were applied to adjacent areas 84
Format application/pdf
Identifier 095-UPA_Page84.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416095
Reference URL