Contents

Page120

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page120
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION 1909 with the Times. Published by Joseph S. Barlow of the neighboring Murray Eagle, in partnership with C. I. Goff, the paper lasted less than a year. In 1914 a more-successful venture, the Messenger, emerged with J. S. Barlow as publisher. It would continue until 1922 under Barlow and then in 1933 became a victim of the Great Depression. Its final co-publishers were J. L. Ewing, D. M. Clark and Vernon Gray. During the mid-1920s and early Depression years, the Midvale Journal was linked with the Murray Eagle and the Draper Journal in a 2,000-plus circulation triumvirate which sought to link the three south-county communities. Begun as a Midvale-Murray duo, the two were labelled "South Salt Lake County's Publicity Twins." The Draper publication, sponsored by the community's Civic Club and edited by John M. Peterson, originated in 1927. Eventually the Depression eliminated all but the Murray paper. Howard Barrows, who had sold the Bingham Bulletin a year earlier, launched Midvale's next paper, the Ute Sentinel, in 1936. He would publish it until October 1, 1954, when J. Parr and Vivian Godfrey, formerly owners of the Royalton, Minnesota Banner, bought the Sentinel. It had by then been re-titled Midvale rather than Ute. Later, to keep pace with the growth of southern Salt Lake County, the paper's name was changed to the Jordan Valley Sentinel with East, West and South editions to serve surrounding communities and their then-rural environs. The Godfreys turned publishing duties over to their son, David, and son-in-law, James Landers, on October 1, 1972. Their publication extended into the West Jordan, Riverton and Bluffdale area as it went through substantial population growth. They were co-publishers until selling to Diversified Suburban Newspapers on September 1, 1984. The Sentinel was then absorbed into the Green Sheet group. When R. Gail Stahle of Bountiful acquired the Green Sheet Newspapers from the Diversified Suburban organization on December 1, 1994, the Sentinel, like others in the group, 120
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 131-UPA_Page120.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416131
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416131