Contents

Page524

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page524
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION Jacob and Alice North Gibson, who then lived in Salt Lake City. While he was still quite young, the family moved to Eureka, then to Mammoth, where both Jacob and his eldest son and namesake were employed as miners. Young Jacob, unfortunately, was badly injured in a mining accident and the Gibsons decided to move to a farm near Nephi. Consequently it was at that community's only paper, the Times, that Abe began what would be his lifelong profession. He'd been given a job by Jacob Coleman, the publisher, and his employer had also rented him an attic bedroom in his home. In point of fact, the Times and Abe Gibson's career began simultaneously. The paper was the sole survivor of no less than seven which had been published intermittently in Nephi, beginning in 1887 with the Ensign. By 1909, the list had dwindled to just one -- the Record - which at that time was in its 20th volume. It was then that Coleman purchased that paper and literally erased all previous mastheads by creating a new one, the Juab County Times. When its first issue appeared on October 15, 1909, the staff included the young apprentice printer. Like most rural publications of that day, its type was hand-set. In May, 1912, half-interest in the paper was acquired by J. M. Christensen. A year later, Coleman's remaining portion was purchased by "A.B.," who by then was a four-year veteran in the plant though only 19 years old. A competing paper, the Nephi City News, was launched on May 1, 1916 with Dennis Wood and R. J. Henroid as co-publishers. Wood, who was inducted into the Utah Newspaper Hall of Fame in 1970, had been, for many years, Nephi's Postmaster and a member of the City Council. Henroid had long been associated with other Nephi newspapers, including the Record and the Times. Their collaboration was a strong one and it soon became apparent the community could not 524
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 530-UPA_Page524.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416535
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416535