Contents

Page115

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page115
Description PAPERS THAT CAME -- AND MANY THAT WENT Sloane, George W. Kaul and Lorin E. Kramer, also produced the Tooele Times and Kramer would later found papers in Garfield and Magna. The brief life of the Reflex ended September 6,1912. Robert D. Halladay unveiled the community's second paper, also labelled the Grantsville Reflex, on March 5, 1917. After a change of names to the Grantsville News, it came to an end on April 6, 1923. Briefly that year, the town had the luxury of two papers because John T. Flinders had introduced the Grantsville Observer on January 7th. It became the News-Observer on January 1, 1924, but like its predecessors met an early death. Gary and Janet Fawson began the most recent Grantsville publication, the Gazette, on October 5, 1983. In succession it had three other couples as its publishers -- Richard and Mary Thornton, Bud and Jeanne Bracken and Tom and Mary Ruth Hammond -- during its near-seven year history before the doors were closed on August 23, 1990. GREENRIVER Green River's first newspaper, the Dispatch, came on the scene February 12, 1907 with J. W. Thompson atop the masthead and B. F. Miller shown as editor/manager. Miller eventually accumulated ownership and then, on July 4, 1917, closed its doors. Helen Spaulding leased the paper from Miller and resumed publication later that month -- but on July 29, 1920 acknowledged the inevitable and halted publication. A former Tacoma, Washington newsman, Gene Davis, embarked on what proved to be a brief weekly publication in June, 1955. Spurred by the prospect of a uranium boom, Davis, more recently in the journalistic picture at Monticello, believed the area was ready for a paper of its own. As it turned out, he was wrong. In 1958, Clarin Ashby, publisher of the Emery County Progress, brought Green River its Leader. Though a commendable publication - twice General Excellence winner in Utah Press Association's competition - it was never financially 115
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 126-UPA_Page115.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416126
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416126