Contents

Page124

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page124
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION newspaper. Stahle produced the first issue of a four-page tabloid on September 1,1954. Although the hyphenated name would give the impression that the paper was a combination of two publications, it was actually the first and only weekly ever to serve Roy. The Sun-Chronicle title was the result of a "name the paper" contest, Stahle explained. It was expanded to broadsheet size December 9, 1954 and emerged with its new name January 27, 1955. Stahle was its only publisher and in May, 1980 sold it to the Standard-Examiner of Ogden. The name was then changed to Lakeside Review and gradually the paper became an advertising vehicle as a "wrap around" for inserts as well as a community weekly. SMITHFIELD John William Harry brought the first newspaper to this Cache Valley community on December 13, 1907. It was the Smithfield Sentinel. The Swiss immigrant, who was its publisher for 17 years, had earlier established two Idaho weeklies, the Snake River Current in Rexburg and the Star in Rigby. In 1924 the Sentinel was sold to Ralph R. Channel, who joined Jacob Wahlen of Hyrum in establishing a weekly paper in Logan. Harry and Joseph W. Peterson revived the Sentinel in 1926; Peterson continuing to publish it after Harry's death February 8, 1933. It became the property of Erwin R. Dowdel in 1935 and on April 5th of that year was renamed the North Cache News. It was sold in 1945 to Clifton E. Hendricksen and Gilbert McDowell and within a short time became the sole property of McDowell. Publication stopped in 1948. TRENTON Only two newspapers are known to have existed in Tren- 124
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 134-UPA_Page124.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416135
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416135