Contents

Page113

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page113
Description PAPERS THAT CAME -- AND MANY THAT WENT Watrous didn't explain the different spellings of "Uinta(h)" -- with and without an fh.f The merged paper was produced at Myton for five years before returning to the county seat as the Duchesne Record on July 2, 1915. J. P. May was briefly the publisher, then Watrous was again at the helm. On August 11, 1917, George S. Sloan became the owner and just over a year later, on August 24,1918, R. F. Walsh occupied the publisher's chair. Dr. C. Maximillian (Max) Markus and his wife, Elizabeth, leased the paper in 1919 but returned it to the owner group July 15, 1920. The Markus duo then affiliated with the Richfield Reaper, purchased it and successfully published it until 1930. Meanwhile, the Record had a succession of lessee managers in D. L. Whitehurst, Stephen W. Johnson and Glen C. Gray, the latter accidentally killed June 7, 1921 by a hunter's bullet. The Duchesne Courier, established May 26, 1922, followed on the heels of the Record's demise with C. B. Cook as editor-manager. Three others were co-partners, one of them L. A. Hollenbeck, who succeeded Cook as editor on August 31, 1923. Another, George S. Bowers, was manager and in 1925 became the sole owner. On August 7, 1931, the Uintah Basin Record, which proclaimed itself to be the former Duchesne Courier, began publication and J. P. May, the lessee manager, happily announced the paper would no longer be printed at either Myton or Murray, but on equipment now available in Duchesne. George Bowers resumed management on May 13, 1932, but on August 9, 1933, succumbed to a severe illness. His place was taken by Roy A. Schonian, a Coloradoan who engaged in mortuary science as well as journalism. He was the publisher until April 7, 1945 when he was named temporary manager of Utah State Press Association. Two months later the "temporary" became permanent and he would hold the position until November 1, 1949. On September 1, 1950, the Record, along with the Roosevelt Standard, became the property of Clifton N. Memmott. He merged the two into the Uintah Basin Standard on January 1, 1957. Years later, after he'd acquired that publication, Clarin 113
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 124-UPA_Page113.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416124
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416124