Contents

Page43

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page43
Description THE TERRITORY'S EARLIEST NEWSPAPERS The Tribune numbers two of its notables in the Hall of Fame. One is Charles C. Goodwin, its editor from. 1880 'til 1901. He was known as "Judge," a reference to his term on a District Court bench in Washoe County, Nevada, before coming to Utah. The other is John F. Fitzpatrick, once secretary to Senator Thomas Kearns, the paper's publisher, and, following the Senator's death, publisher himself from 1918 until 1960. Springville Herald It subsequently had other names, but its somewhat contorted history traces to the community's first newspaper, the Independent, which started publication on August 20,1891 with George Sanders at its helm. A year later it was acquired by Hall of Fame newsman Don C. Johnson and in 1895 was managed by well-travelled Utah journalist David P. Felt. While serving an LDS Church mission, he turned the publisher's duties to Sam L. LeRoy in 1897 and then to William F. Gibson. Johnson took the paper back when Felt returned and with his son, Gus, on the staff published it until selling to A. F. Gaisford & Son in August, 1922. Gaisford changed its banner to The Beacon, and in 1924 it was acquired by the Provo Herald. The name was then switched to the Herald-Beacon and it was under the guidance of Provo Herald publisher E. C. Rodgers and edited by Thorn C. Miner. Nephi Hicks, a longtime Provo daily newsman, managed and edited the Springville publication from 1927 until his retirement from newspapering. The paper's banner became that of today, the Springville Herald, when he was assigned by the Provo owner. Harrison Conover, who had established a commercial printing plant in the community in the mid-30s, bought the newspaper in 1940. He recalled approaching the Provo owners with an offer to buy and being rejected. However when he threatened to begin a competing Springville paper, E. W. (Ed) 43
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 055-UPA_Page43.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416054
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416054