Contents

Page123

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page123
Description PAPERS THAT CAME -- AND MANY THAT WENT Warner Mitchell became the publisher of the Times. He was succeeded by his son, Robert B. Mitchell, who was in charge of the paper when he discontinued publication, the final issue a merged June 9-16,1960 edition. RANDOLPH In sparsely-populated and often frigid Randolph, future Hall of Fame publisher John Wallis optimistically began The Round-up on May 29, 1896 and abandoned the effort on April 9, 1898 by selling to W. J. McLaughlin. The new owner ceased publication not long thereafter. A later Rich County publication, The News, was started in 1903 and continued under a number of publishers until its demise on September 14, 1928. During its 25-year existence the names of founders Benzley and Robinson, LeRay Shelly, J. M. Peart, F. R. Morgan, Arthur McKinnon and A. L. Larson appeared on its masthead. After it had closed its doors, Ruby Larson and Mabel Nicholl persuaded the bank, which held title by loan default, to let them attempt a revival and for some two years they enjoyed minimal success. Bernard H. Ewer then became publisher, changing the name to the Rich County Reaper, undoubtedly to erase outstanding obligations of the News. William E. Marshall succeeded Ewer on January 3, 1930 and he and Layton Marshall maintained it until its demise on August 29, 1947. ROY The Roy Sun-Chronicle is descended from the Roy Sun, which started life early in 1954 on an intermittent publishing schedule as a project of the community's Kiwanis Club. Allen Browning, a local businessman, was in charge but after producing a few issues decided the effort wasn't worth the result. He persuaded J. Howard Stahle, a member of the longtime Bountiful publishing family, to launch the Sun as a traditional 123
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 133-UPA_Page123.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416134
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416134