Contents

Page176

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page176
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION Freeman and his wife, Ada, who on June 18, 1875 unveiled the semi-weekly Ogden Freeman and published it for a tumultuous four-year time-span before departing the state in 1879. It's perhaps more accurate to say Ada Freeman published the newspaper while her husband travelled widely, providing stories and editorial opinions from such varied points along the still-new Union Pacific Railroad as Cheyenne, Laramie and Sweetwater, Wyoming. Perhaps it was just as well he didn't spend more time in Ogden, for he was intensely anti-Mormon and also described himself as "anti-Chinese and anti-Indian." As a result he was constantly at odds with one adversary or another. Mrs. Freeman, on the other hand, was generally well accepted in the city and the paper she produced was termed by other territorial publishers, "neat and newsy." Legh's newspaper career began in Nebraska Territory, where by sheer chance he was "in the right place at the right time." A Virginia-born telegrapher serving in the Confederate Army, he'd been captured in 1864 and imprisoned near Rock Island, Illinois. When President Lincoln offered prisoners an opportunity to become "galvanized Yankees" and serve at Western posts nowhere near the Civil War battlefields, Freeman volunteered. Assigned to Ft. Kearny as a telegrapher, a skill he'd learned from his father who was a railroad depot agent, he eventually succeeded one Hiram Brundage at the dots-and-dashes key. In addition to handling the wire messages, Brundage had engaged in producing the Kearney Herald, a newspaper essentially serving the military outpost. News sources were easily accessible since both civilian and military dispatches were crossing the nation via what the Indians called "the singing wire." A telegraph operator at Ft. Kearny had no difficulty intercepting them. Parenthetically, the Herald was responsible for the name of today's city located near the site of the old fort being pronounced Karnee rather than Keernee. The latter is the correct pronunciation of Gen. Stephen W. Kearny, for whom the post was named. Somehow the paper inserted a second 'e' in its masthead, changing the phonetic sound. 176
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 185-UPA_Page176.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416187
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416187