Contents

Page96

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page96
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION the Payson Globe. It was their decision to eliminate the name of the town from the banner, resulting in the American Eagle masthead. In 1898 Martin A. Willumsen, who was also Murray's Postmaster, acquired the paper. He produced it until 1905, when Joseph S. Barlow became the publisher. For a period of time during the two decades he was at its helm the paper was the Murray American. An entrepreneur, Barlow also established the Happy Hour and Iris Theatres in Murray, published the Midvale Times, circa 1909-10 and the Magna-Garfield Messenger in 1918. No files have been found of either publication. When he sold the newspaper, Barlow became an advertising agent, officing his firm, Artogram Systems, in downtown Salt Lake City's Boyd Park building. During Barlow's tenure, Murray was quite briefly a two-newspaper town. In 1914 John G. Weaver unveiled the Murray Citizen - and in the same year the publication expired. No files have been found. Paul K. Nielsen became manager of the American Eagle in 1918 and three years later acquired ownership. In 1925, he gave the paper the name it has carried for 70 ensuing years, the Murray Eagle. On January 5, 1927, Clement B. and Edna Wallace became the co-publishers. He had joined Western Newspaper Union in 1914 as a clerk and salesman; his energetic wife published both the Morgan County News and the Summit County Bee with his part-time assistance during the early 1920s. They leased the Eagle to their son, John B. (Jack) Wallace, in 1943 and on May 20, 1948, it was sold to brothers Ted and Pat Heal, sons of longtime Salt Lake Tribune editor G. B. (Bert) Heal. The Eagle became the property of another husband-and-wife publishing team, J. M. (Jim) and Bette Cornwell, on July 1, 1955. They are generally regarded as the pioneers of suburban newspapering in south central Salt Lake county. In 1958 they introduced the News-Advertiser publications in the western and eastern portions of the valley, later merging them into the Green Sheet group. When West Valley City was incorpo- 96
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 107-UPA_Page96.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416107
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416107