Contents

Page165

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page165
Description UTAH'S SIX SURVIVING DAILIES Herald among the many mastheads in its multi-state group. On September 3, 1928, the Logan paper's banner became the Cache Valley Daily Herald and on August 1,1931, the Herald and the Journal were merged. They'd engaged in a bitter, no-holds-barred struggle for three years during which N. Gunnar Rasmuson, who'd transferred from the Provo operation, gained journalistic acclaim as the Herald's publisher. Shortly after the Logan Her aid-Journal had been created, a semi-weekly competitor was launched. William H. England, William C. England, Joseph C. Allen, Jr. and, later, Floyd Rose, were partners in the Cache American, which opened its doors November 3, 1931. It played strongly on the fact the city's daily paper was no longer locally owned, proclaiming on its masthead, "A Home Paper for Home People." Despite the handicap of a daily competitor, it continued to operate under multiple ownership until December 12, 1947, when it was sold to Charles W. Claybaugh and D. Murray Mason of the Box Elder News-Journal in Brigham City. It ceased operation less than a year later. In addition to those already cited, other men who played a role in the history of the Her aid-Journal include: John P. Smith and E. A. Stratford, whose commercial printing plant was merged into the original Utah Journal in 1882 and who were active for many years thereafter, Stratford as manager circa 1885. Moses and George W. Thatcher, John T. Caine, Jr. and W B. Preston, who were financially involved in that time-span. Joshua Hughes Paul, briefly editor in 1891 until leaving to serve as President of first, Brigham Young College and then, in 1894, the Agricultural College of Utah. Noble Warrum, a transplanted Indiana attorney, who was editor from 1892 until 1897. He moved on to a distinguished career as editor of the Salt Lake Argus and then editorial writer for the Salt Lake Tribune. Staff members well-remembered in more recent times are James Godbold, Bob Findley, who went on to a career with Denver's Rocky Mountain News and Ja-nelle Brown, who continued journalistically on the Boise 165
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 174-UPA_Page165.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416176
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416176