Contents

Page116

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page116
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION independent and eventually became part of a combined county paper, the Progress-Leader. That publication was purchased by Kimble Larsen in May, 1965 and was sold by him to Sun Advocate Publishers, Inc. of Price on February 1,1975. HELPER The Helper Journal, which had its start January 7, 1932, was a continuation of the Helper Times, bearer of a 1911 birthdate. I. A. Lee founded the Times and it had a shaky existence under several publishers. George Grow was one, in the early 1920s. He gave way on August 20, 1924 to Grace A. Cooper, who had then been publisher of the neighboring Price News-Advocate for a year following the death of her husband, H. W. Cooper. On February 28, 1927, C. L. Conner took charge of the Times and on April 19, 1928 he entered into a partnership with William F. (Bill) MacKnight of Price. William T. Igleheart, who had followed Mrs. Cooper as the News-Advocate's publisher, assumed the editorial reins of the Times on June 5, 1930. The Great Depression then claimed the paper and it was sold at sheriffs sale on December 10, 1931 to Howard A. Jarvis. He was, at that time, publisher of the Bingham Bulletin and the Magna Times. It was a brief investment on his part, for on December 31st he sold to C. Watt Brandon and his son, DeLos, of Sheridan, Wyoming. They renamed the paper the Helper Journal and retained it until January 12, 1934, when George W. Baker was the purchaser. Seven months later, on October 1, 1934, a partnership of William MacKnight and Leland Burress became the owners. Both MacKnight and Burress would leave marks on Utah and Idaho journalism. Burress published the Bingham Bulletin and later the Leader of Gooding, Idaho. MacKnight owned the Citizen in Preston, Idaho and then the North Side News in Jerome. The partners sold the Helper Journal on July 1, 1937, to MacKnight's brother, Hal, and Val H. Cowles, his co-publisher at the Price Sun-Advocate. Clifton N. (Clif) Memmot was named editor-manager by 116
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 127-UPA_Page116.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416127
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416127