Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL

Page Metadata

Title Page73
Description SOME SUCCEEDED; MANY MORE DIDN'T he and Richard Buys merged the Newspaper with the Park Record. SALT LAKE CITY Newspapers came and departed in the capital city with the regularity of merry-go-round horses during the early days of Utah journalism. Over 100 were started and the fatality rate was extremely high. Some left evidence in the form of a few scattered issues, others lapsed without a trace. Among them were the Press, the Telegraph, the Herald, the Independent, the Inter-Mountain Republican, the Utah Mining Journal, the Utah Evening Mail, the Reporter and the Times, all of which bore the prefix Daily. The Evening Telegram was on newstands for 28 years from its origin on January 30, 1902 until it was taken over by the Tribune on September 27, 1930. With creation of Newspaper Agency Corporation in 1952, the Telegram ceased to be. The Herald-Republican, a daily though it didn't so-identify itself on its banner, came upon the scene August 14, 1909 and lasted eleven years. Its roots extended to the Salt Lake Herald, which had a June 5, 1870 establishment date. Thus the paper's history had actually stretched for nearly half-a-century before, on January 1, 1920, it was absorbed by the Telegram. ST. GEORGE Newspaper publishing in St. George during this era was influenced by a farm-bred youth who launched his first publication at age 15 and continued to open and close papers for three decades. He was Joseph W. Carpenter. His name appeared on the masthead of four publications, none of which survived the test of time. Carpenter's initial effort, the St. George Juvenile, was ambitiously scheduled to be published twice a month. It lasted only a short time after beginning on December 23, 1868. In November, 1871, Carpenter was listed as editor and publisher of the new St. George Enterprise, a monthly which continued 73
Format application/pdf
Identifier 085-UPA_Page73.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416084
Reference URL