Contents

Page97

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page97
Description "YOUNG" PAPERS THAT ACTUALLY ARE OLD rated in 1980, they added the West Valley View to create a four-paper combination. The papers remained in the hands of the former Nebraska publishers exactly 29 years until July 1, 1984. At that time Diversified Suburban Newspapers, a New Jersey-based group headed by Dean Singleton and Peter Bernhard, purchased the property. They added the Midvale-based Sentinel papers on September 1,1984 and later acquired the Park Record, which did not become a Green Sheet publication. Diversified retained the Green Sheet group until selling December 1, 1994 to R. Gail Stahle of the Davis County Clipper. NEPHI Though several newspapers were intermittently published in Nephi, most of them before the turn of the century, the roots of its present-day Times-News extend only to 1900. The controversial and oft-quoted Nephi Ensign was the community's first publication. It was started June 10, 1887 by James T. (Jim) Jakeman, best remembered as the man who probably started and ended more weekly newspapers than anyone else in Utah's history. Partners John S. Rollo and John T. Field took over the Jakeman publication within a year and before the Ensign's demise on April 24, 1891 it was also the property of James H. Wallis. When it closed, the equipment was moved to Lehi where for many years it was used to produce the Banner. The Nephi Courier followed on the Ensign's heels in September, 1892. Its co-publishers were E. S. Carroll and Swen Freed. Its longevity was slightly more than a year, for it folded in December, 1893 - in fact, just as Utah Press Association was being organized. Its demise was no doubt hastened by the start of the Nephi Republic on June 11, 1893. Alfred Orme was its publisher and W. L. Roe the editor. A very brief appearance was made on January 21, 1895 by the Juab County Standard before it was absorbed on June 29th into the Nephi Blade. Originally printed in Deseret and Oasis, the Blade had moved to Nephi two weeks earlier, on June 97
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 108-UPA_Page97.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416108
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416108