Contents

Page86

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page86
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION Frank A. and Frank S. Beckwith are a father-and-son combination in the Newspaper Hall of Fame. GUNNISON The Gazette, Gunnison's first newspaper, was started October 20, 1899 by N. Gledhill & Sons and continued until its purchase on May 2, 1919 by Howard W. Cherry. A transplanted Californian, Mr. Cherry had been a Utah newsman in Marysvale and Moab before coming to Gunnison. He changed the paper's name to the Gunnison Valley News, which it has been for the past 75 years. His wife, Orsa, became the publisher upon his death in 1941 and retained the position until retiring in 1962. Their son, Howard W., Jr. (Wes), then published the News until selling it July 1, 1971 to Kent Crandall. Ten years later it was acquired by Mark Fuellenbach of the Richfield Reaper and on April 1, 1984 became the property of Kevin Ashby of Roosevelt. He sold it in 1993 to Post Publishing Company, which defaulted after a year. It was then purchased in November, 1994 by Jim and Lori Olsen, who had been resident publishers for the Post organization. KANAB There's no link between today's Southern Utah News and the earliest papers published in Kanab. The community's first, the Clipper, was launched by a newsman who lacked neither ambition nor vision but never enjoyed journalistic success. He was J. T. Camp, whose career was marked by failed efforts in Elsinore, Lehi, Marysvale, Park City and Richfield -- and, eventually, Kanab. Historian J. Cecil Alter, in Early Utah Journalism, commented, "Poor Camp was always decamping." Camp purchased equipment of the defunct Loa Advice and brought it to Kane County, where he unveiled the Clipper on January 1, 1900. Four months later E. Albert Stewart, the County Clerk, bought the paper, then sold it to Mr. and Mrs. Heber P. Cram. They operated until 1903 when, in an experi- 86
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 097-UPA_Page86.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416097
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416097