Contents

Page33

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page33
Description THE TERRITORY'S EARLIEST NEWSPAPERS merger of the two dailies from which its hyphenated name is derived. The Journal is a descendant of the Utah Journal, which made its bow on August 1, 1882. Its founders had taken over the city's only other newspaper, the Logan Leader, even as their first edition was in preparation. Though it had been launched on September 16, 1879, the Leader was not Logan's first paper. That distinction belonged to the Northern Light, half of which was printed in English and half in Danish. It was established May 16, 1879 by publisher A. C. Growe, a Logan watchmaker, and was soon turned over to Abinadi Pratt, who presided at its interment after three months of operation on August 15th. The Herald portion of the Herald-Journal traces its roots to neighboring smalltown Cache County weeklies that had moved into Logan. One was the Sentinel of Smithfield; the other the South Cache Courier of Hyrum. The two merged on November 11,1925 as the Cache Valley Herald. That paper, in turn, was acquired in 1928 by Scripps-Canfield Newspapers. Changed to daily frequency, it challenged the Journal for the Logan market and for the following three years a heated struggle took place. On August 1, 1931 the two combined into the daily which today serves the hub city of Cache Valley. The Journal's Charles England and Jesse Earl are Hall of Fame members, as is N. Gunnar Rasmuson, publisher of the Herald and, after the merger, the Herald-Journal. Monti Messenger This Sanpete County newspaper was founded October 13, 1893 by Joel Shomaker. Though not in attendance at the December 17, 1893 gathering, Shomaker was present five weeks later when plans for the association were ratified. At that time Manti had a population of 2,408 and its Sanpete County neighbor, Ephraim, where the Enterprise was located, numbered 2,086. Shomaker's Messenger was the product of an experienced Salt Lake City newsman. The Logan Nation labelled it "A well 33
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 045-UPA_Page33.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416044
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416044