Contents

Page130

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page130
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION suburban community for which it was named. The Herald was minimally successful until June, 1961 when LaMar Busath and Fred Bittner became its owners through default of its printing costs. They brought it to an end on November 17, 1961. A companion paper initiated by Green, the Granite Park Press, experienced a similar life-span before vanishing into newspaperdom's valhalla. A second attempt to create a South Salt Lake City paper, this one the News, was begun in May, 1968 by C. Earl Alsop. It ceased publication upon his death, June 18, 1970. Though history gives it scant credibility, the most ambitious newspaper undertaking in the Salt Lake and Davis county suburbs of Salt Lake City was begun - and ended - in 1898. J. B. Braxton, from his Utah Publishing Company offices at 60 Richards Street, undertook to furnish no less than a dozen suburban communities "a newspaper of their own." Only one of them had experienced a weekly publication before - that Centerville, where the Call operated in 1897 and early 1898 under the direction of E. S. Carroll and Melvie Smith. Carroll had originally owned Utah Publishing and in 1897 had started, and ended, the Western Observer. Before his journalistic tracks were obliterated, he would also appear briefly at the helm of the turn-of-the-century Lehi Banner. Smith had no other in-state newspapering ties. Braxton picked up where Carroll and Smith had ended in Centerville and added these mastheads to his combine: Draper Dial, Farmington Flashlight, Hooper Herald, Kaysville Kineto-scope, Layton Lancet, Riverton Review, Syracuse Standard, Taylorsville Telephone, Union Times, West Jordan Journal and Woods Cross Watchman. Perhaps the "bad luck" addition of a 13th publication consigned the venture to failure when the Fort Douglas Gazette was initiated and the house of cards tumbled. There is similarity in the plan Braxton conceived and that of the so-called "syndicate" publishers of 1911-1915 who produced "local" newspapers in Salt Lake City for distribution in various out-state communities. At its height, this practice 130
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 139-UPA_Page130.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416141
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416141