Contents

Page128

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page128
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION weekly frequency on April 8, 1974, he re-named it the Inter-mountain Record. With his wife, Bonnie, as publisher, it became today's Intermountain Commercial Record. The Utah Statesman was also created by Harry Miller, in January, 1947, and produced in his Lorraine Press plant. Its masthead carried a line reading, "A weekly newspaper devoted to good government" and in a general sense it was a political counterpart to the Salt Lake Times, leaning to a Republican rather than Democratic philosophy. The Statesman drastically changed its editorial policies toward the political left when purchased May 15, 1959 by one-time Governor and Salt Lake City Mayor J. Bracken Lee. After a relatively brief period of time it ceased to publish. Harry Miller had also launched, during an eight-year span of time, the Tooele County News, the Western Mineral Survey, the Valley View News in Kearns and two magazines. In addition, he brought onto the Utah scene the Sunset News, a weekly serving the west side of Salt Lake City, particularly Rose Park. Founded in April, 1956, the paper remained in his hands until July 10, 1969 when it was sold to John Stahle, Jr., publisher of the Davis County Clipper. Operating it in conjunction with his other weekly properties, Stahle continued the News until November 28, 1985, when it ceased publication. In 1955, J. Richard Andersen established the Holladay Neighbor, designed to provide weekly coverage for the upper east side of the Salt Lake Valley. It was offset-printed and had more of a magazine format than a newspaper one. On September 7, 1961, it was sold to J. Parr and Vivian Godfrey, publishers of the Sentinel newspapers in Midvale. Their first editor, Kay Aldous, later joined American Newspaper Representatives in New York City in sales and public relations. Still later, he became an officer of the American Automobile Association, from which he retired in 1992. The Neighbor was sold to Norman and Steve Rosenblatt, who on April 2, 1964 changed its name to the Rocky Mountain Review. Politically outspoken and controversial, the Review was nonetheless an outstanding publication and in its first 128
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 137-UPA_Page128.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416139
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416139