Contents

Page59

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page59
Description SOME SUCCEEDED; MANY MORE DIDN'T A decade later Joseph A. Fahrlender took over the paper, operating it until November 12, 1987, when it was returned to Mr. Rich. Lisa Yardley, (now Lisa Corral) who'd become editor of the Press in 1986, assumed ownership in 1987. The paper again reverted to Rich in mid-1993 and on August 4, 1994 Robert L. Draper became the publisher. CACHE VALLEY A newspaper of 1879 vintage was the first to serve Cache Valley. The Northern Light, half of which was in English and the other half in Danish, was published by A. C. Growe, a Logan watch-maker, and was soon turned over to Abinadi Pratt, who presided at its interment. The Light began May 16, 1879 and closed its doors August 15th. Researcher A. J. Simmonds would observe in tracing Cache journalism, "Newspapers on the American frontier had a shorter life expectancy than gunfighters." CEDAR CITY Will C. Higgins launched the Iron County Record at Cedar City on December 8, 1893. Higgins, known as "Judge," had an excellent reputation from his days as editor of the Salt Lake Mining Journal in the capital city and the paper he founded was well-received. The Record proceeded through a succession of ownerships, though, with the name Wilkinson frequently appearing on its masthead, Charles S. Wilkinson being the dominant one. He joined Dan Matheson in publishing it in 1896-97, then became the sole owner. J. T. Wilkinson, Jr. became editor in 1901, then Charles reappeared in that position. At one time in 1908, the man who eventually would be its longtime publisher and a Hall of Fame member, Alex Rollo, was lessee manager. A. D. McGuire was the early 1913 publisher, with Charles Wilkinson again assuming the reins in November of that year. Rollo departed after his lessee role to begin the competing Cedar City Observer in 1912 and on October 27, 1915, unveiled 59
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 071-UPA_Page59.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416070
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416070