Contents

Page164

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page164
Description UTAH PEESS ASSOCIATION Hams, formerly of the Salt Lake Times, as editor. Two names which would gain prominence in Cache Valley journalism were a part of the new group -- Charles England, the office manager and Jesse Earl, shop foreman. On December 12, 1894, they combined their talents, leased the paper and later became its owners. England and Earl were progressive. After successfully advocating creation of an electrical generating plant for Logan, they converted their press to an electric drive in March, 1896 -- the first Utah paper to be so-powered. Installation of an electric pot on the Linotype in 1914 was another innovative move and during the near-four decades of England and Earl operation the Journal was known for its modern, well-equipped plant. Scarcely noted and not long remembered were two other papers of that era. One, the Logan Post, was a German-language weekly which is devoid of files but was published from approximately 1904 until 1908. Its publisher was Karl Kowal-lis. The other, which occupied a brief time-span in 1908-09, was the Cache County Advertiser, also owned by Kowallis and evidently an effort to create an English language paper on the ashes of the failed foreign one. For 22 years, from 1902 until 1924, the Journal presented a Democratic point of view and the Republican was the organ of the opposition party. Finally, on April 1, 1924, the Journal acquired the plant and subscription list of its adversary and, now a daily, was Logan's only newspaper. That would last only one year, eight months and 10 days, a term historian A. J. (Jeff) Simmonds labelled "the longest period in its entire history that the Journal was the undisputed monarch in its domain." The newcomer, on December 11, 1925, was the Cache Valley Herald, a joint venture of Jacob Wahlen and Ralph R. Channell combining their South Cache Courier of Hyrum and the Smithfteld Sentinel. The co-publishers were succeeded in 1926 by Leslie T. Foy and in 1928 the Herald was purchased by Scripps-Canfield Newspapers, which numbered the Provo 164
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 173-UPA_Page164.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416175
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416175