Contents

Page103

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page103
Description "YOUNG" PAPERS THAT ACTUALLY ARE OLD 1914, some five years after the community's first publication, the Uintah Standard, had closed its doors. The new paper, in fact, proclaimed in its first issue, "The Standard is born again, unfurled this time to remain!" May departed after half-a-year and Arnold Reef, who'd been editor under the founder, continued the publication. On September 6, 1922, James H. Wallis of the Vernal Express replaced Reef as the owner and his son, William B. (Bill) Wallis was named manager. On January 8, 1926, George Harrison became editor and publisher and his wife, Violet, business manager of the Roosevelt paper. They were the son-in-law and daughter of James Wallis and had earlier been associated with him on the staff of the Vernal Express. The Harrisons were a dedicated husband-and-wife publishing team. He also served as president of Utah State Press Association in 1936, was a longtime Mayor of Roosevelt, a leader in the Utah Municipal League and head of the Utah Fish & Game Commission under Governor Herbert B. Maw. Cliff and Irene Fretwell of Ogden purchased the Standard on October 1, 1945 and published it until September 1, 1950 when Clifton N. Memmott, former Helper Journal publisher, acquired it. Three months earlier he had sold his Helper interests. On January 3, 1957, he merged the Duchesne and Roosevelt papers into the Uintah Basin Standard. His successor, on June 1, 1965, was Clarin Ashby, formerly of the Emery County Progress, who brought with him his popular column, I-de-clair. It was very nearly a homecoming for Ashby, whose birthplace, Midview, was near Duchesne. On September 1, 1978, Ashby relinquished the reins of the Standard to his sons, Kevin and Craig, and after Kevin's acquisition of the Gunnison and Salina newspapers in 1984, Craig continued as publisher in Roosevelt. SAUNA This Sevier County community witnessed the start of two weeklies before and shortly after the turn of the century. 103
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 114-UPA_Page103.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416114
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416114