Contents

Page108

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page108
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION was bestowed by German settlers who copied from their previous residence, a small community midway between Blooming-ton and Peoria, Illinois. Nihart's publication was produced in Logan. While there are no files to substantiate the exact date of the initial issue, it took place during 1903. Uniquely, Nihart and three of the community's succeeding postmasters were also publishers of one or the other of the town's newspapers over a period of years. Nihart's mercantile store, another of his commercial ventures, was also Tremont's post office when the Times was established. He was succeeded in the business by John Sherman, who became publisher of the Times as well as the postmaster in 1905. Probably his awareness of difficulties the town's name had created in mail delivery led to the addition of "on," creating "Tremonton." Many letters and packages went astray between Tremont and Fremont, Utah before the change was made. W. H. Capwell, who followed Sherman in 1907, was also the postmaster. Late in 1913 he ceased publication of the newspaper. The Bear River Valley Leader was Tremonton's second publication, started March 4, 1914 by Alvin D. McGuire. Eleven years later the American Newspaper Directory credited The Leader with a circulation of 542 and indicated it was staffed by A. D. McGuire & Sons. William E. Little became owner of the publication on September 24, 1925. Earlier newspaper records had incorrectly named him "Settle," but research by former State Senator Clifford Kerr subsequently produced the right name. It may have been confused with Clyde F. Settle, a key in the 1926 revival of the South Cache Courier at not-far-distant Hyrum. On November 1, 1928, James Walton acquired the Leader. Little's farewell column read, "When the Bear River Valley Leader was started, the editor had in mind certain ideas of what he believed a weekly newspaper should be. In order to carry out those ideas it was necessary to incur obligations which . . . were unwise from a financial standpoint." Walton, who among other duties was the town's Mayor for a period of time, was named postmaster on September 23, 1933 and his 108
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 119-UPA_Page108.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416119
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416119