Contents

Page158

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page158
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION The Ogden Standard opened for business on January 1, 1888, formed by Frank J. Cannon from the ashes of the failed Ogden Morning Herald -- one of numerous newspapers that folded since the first was published one day after the driving of the Golden Spike on May 10, 1869. So many papers started and failed in the busy railroad town during the late 1800s that Ogden often was described as the pre-eminent graveyard of newspapering in the West. Succeeding Cannon as owner in 1892 was William Glas-mann, a land developer who had become the Standard's editor under Cannon. Glasmann forged the paper into a lively voice in Ogden, and his descendants remained involved in the ownership of the paper for another 101 years. In 1904, an associate editor of the Standard, Frank Francis, started the Ogden Morning Examiner. After two ownership changes, the Examiner was taken over for good by the Standard in 1920. Thus was born the Ogden Standard-Examiner, whose name stayed unchanged for 68 years until the owners dropped Ogden from the masthead in 1988 to better reflect the daily's role as a four-county publication. In 1970, upon the death of Publisher Abe Glasmann, William Glasmann's son, the ownership and management of the paper was carried on by Abe's daughter, Wilda Gene Hatch, and her cousin, Blaine V. Glasmann. The ownership team remained in place until 1988, when Blaine Glasmann died. One year later, the Hatch family took full control of the newspaper by buying remaining stock held by Glasmann's descendants and other relatives. Ogden Publishing Corporation, a subsidiary of Sandusky Newspapers, Inc. of Ohio, bought the paper from the Hatch family on March 23, 1993. Ogden Publishing is headed by chairman David Rau and Publisher Scott Trundle, who succeeded Publisher and Editor Randy Hatch, Wilda Gene Hatch's son, at the time of the sale. The Standard-Examiner is the largest newspaper in the Sandusky-owned group, which itself has a long and successful tradition of family ownership. 158
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 167-UPA_Page158.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416169
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416169