Contents

Page75

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page75
Description SOME SUCCEEDED; MANY MORE DIDN'T that to Rio Virgen Times, by changing an fi* to an V in the banner. By November 24th, it appeared the paper's days were numbered and the dawn of 1869 proved that to be true. Still, the determined Johnson didn't abandon Dixie. Instead he produced, on April 1, 1870, the Utah Pomologist, to which title two years later was added "and Gardener," both of which were, he said, "Devoted to the orchard, vineyard, farm and garden." Though obviously not a publication of general interest, it continued until February 24, 1877, when valuable minerals were discovered only 20 miles from St. George and the enterprising Johnson seized the opportunity to convert his paper to The Utah Pomologist and Silver Reef Echo, launched as a daily publication. He, too, was able to capitalize on news from Deseret Telegraph Company's wires. On October 26, 1878, the Echo was acquired by new owners and renamed the Silver Reef Miner, a tri-weekly. It suffered a shaky and contentious existence, reduced to weekly publication and finally expired on April 7, 1883. The determined, but never successful, James T. Jakeman left a footprint in St. George, too. His Southern Utah Star had its beginning July 20, 1895. And its ending in the same year. Which set the stage for John R. Wallis to move from Randolph to Utah's Dixie and launch the Washington County News on June 18, 1898. There was no blasting of trumpets in the inaugural. Instead, Wallis simply commented, "We shall run a few issues as an experiment and if the business houses do not give material support, shall discontinue." Apologizing for the scarcity of advertising, he added that the News was "the most starved-to-death looking sheet in Utah." What business was generated wasn't enough to keep Wallis in St. George; he sold to D. U. Cochrane, an Oregon newsman, who changed the paper's name to The Dixie Falcon. He also presided at the Falcon's funeral within a year and the equipment was purchased by Charles S. (Charlie) Wilkinson, formerly of Cedar City, who introduced the Dixie Advocate on September 13, 1901. Though a trifle more successful than its predecessors, it ceased publication in November, 1906. John Wallis then returned to St. George and on June 30, 75
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 087-UPA_Page75.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416086
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416086