Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL

Page Metadata

Title Page577
Description THE UTAH NEWSPAPER HALL OF FAME into the ways of doing business and into the changes which had been made in the publishing field in Salt Lake City. Application of his business methods focussed on improvements which could be made in operations and 1924 found him with the title, "Assistant General Manager" of the Deseret News Publishing Company, The Deseret News itself and the printing facility, Deseret News Press. During the next dozen years while at the Deseret News, J.M.K. was instrumental in creating the new building on Richards Street. New and modern equipment was installed in every department. A new press that would handle all production of the newspaper, including color work, comics and color advertising was purchased. Together with his fellow workers, he developed the idea of the "Church Section" that today is an important feature of the News. And he contributed many of the progressive concepts that have been generated by the Deseret News. As he became more deeply involved in the newspaper, the Utah Farmer was passed on to other managers and in January, 1930, was sold to Stringham A. Stevens. Until it was later sold to the Crowell Publishing Company of Seattle, Washington, up to three members of the Kirkham family were employed by the Farmer. The newspaper and journalistic activities of James M. Kirkham came to an end when in 1934 he was called to preside over the East Central Mission with headquarters in Kentucky. When he returned to Utah in 1938 he was sent on a genealogical mission throughout Europe and when he came back he became affiliated with the Presiding Bishop's office, where he remained until retirement in 1954. On July 5, 1957, at the age of 84, he passed away in Salt Lake City. His wife had preceded him in death by eleven years, but all his nine children survived, along with a posterity of 46 grand and great-grandchildren. His was a noteworthy newspaper career, involving daily, less-than-daily and periodical publications. To each of them he brought keen foresight, ingenious planning and operating efficiency which invariably led to success. 577
Format application/pdf
Identifier 583-UPA_Page577.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416588
Reference URL