Contents

Page58

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page58
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION BEAVER Persistence marked papers started in Beaver, where the Enterprise began August 16, 1873 and withstood brief competition from the Daily Chronicle, started October 16,1876, then The Watchman which began October 29,1879. Neither lasted. The Utonian arrived on the scene February 19, 1881 and the County Record operated from June 8, 1883 until December 14, 1884. Along with its challengers, the Enterprise itself dissolved in 1885. No files of the paper exist, but it was closely observed by other territorial publications, which frequently quoted from it or printed critical jibes about it. "More first-class, two-fisted, paying newspapers have flourished, and died with their boots on, in Beaver than in many other cities of several times the size," wrote J. Cecil Alter in Early Utah Journalism. He went on to explain Beaver was a city of rivalries, particularly between Mormons and Gentiles. It had, he pointed out, "mining and political interests galore. Fort Cameron, a strongly garrisoned United States military post, frowned upon it. Little wonder, then, that opposing dailies, tri-weeklies and weeklies vied simultaneously with one another for patronage, while other Utah towns of much greater population permitted lone newspapers of high quality to starve!" The Beaver Press was launched November 25, 1904 by D. I. Frazer & Sons and was purchased in 1916 by Karl S. Carlton of the Beaver County News in Milford. In 1920 he sold it to Timothy Brownhill but two years later Carlton took it back and turned over the editorial reins to his wife, Cora E. The Carltons published until March 4, 1927 when A. C. and Jess E. Saunders, a husband-and-wife team, acquired the plant. They returned it to the Carltons on June 1, 1933 and Walter L. Carlton, son of the owners, became its publisher. He surrendered the title to C. S. Wilkinson on October 1, 1942 and on June 2, 1945, Aird Merkley assumed ownership. On June 1, 1956 the Press was purchased by Stephen A. and Patricia Williams of the Beaver County News in Milford. They published it until June 16,1962 when it was sold to George Rich, a mining engineer and former Salt Lake City printer. 58
Format application/pdf
Identifier 070-UPA_Page58.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416069
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416069