Contents

Page102

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page102
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION the publisher until May 1, 1967, when, upon his retirement, J. C. Henderson of Spanish Fork became the owner. On August 1, 1972, Clark Bigler, a former United Press manager from Reno, Nevada, bought the Chronicle. A Payson native, he published the paper until October 22, 1975 when it was sold to Richard M. and Susan Buys. Kent Fuellenbach, brother of Mrs. Buys, acquired the paper March 1, 1978 and was its publisher until selling to Michael Olsen on August 15, 1989. PLEASANT GROVE This Utah County community has a lengthy newspaper history. Its first paper, the Pleasant Grove News, was founded December 3, 1909 by J. David Larson, but came to an end on July 15, 1910. In April, 1912, L. W. Gaisford began the Pleasant Grove Review, which under its own banner or as an adjunct to the American Fork Citizen has since appeared for over eight decades. A. F. Gaisford, Sr. was the next publisher and through the 1920s and 1930s, Alpine Publishing Company produced the Review. On April 10, 1942, Abraham B. (Abe) Gibson of the Nephi Times-News bought the Review and was still its publisher when he was fatally injured in an automobile accident February 7, 1976. His longtime staff member, Jack Pace, husband of Gibson's daughter Afton, then assumed publishing duties. The paper became the property of California-based Newtah, Inc., on September 5, 1980. Brett Bezzant purchased that corporation on March 1, 1982, later changing the name to Newtah News Group. ROOSEVELT While Uintah Basin newspapers were more or less linked in the beginning, as evidenced by a three-paper coalition in Roosevelt, Myton and Duchesne (see Chapter 6), the publication which would emerge as the survivor was the Roosevelt Standard. Published by J. P. May, it began on August 29, 102
Format application/pdf
Identifier 113-UPA_Page102.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416113
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416113