Contents

Page543

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page543
Description THE UTAH NEWSPAPER HALL OF FAME Goodwin was qualified to join such company. The power of his pen was quickly recognized and as an editorial writer he rose to an eminence gained by only a rare few. As the years rolled by, historians note, "Goodwin's felicity of expression never changed; his mind was a spring, not a reservoir." In Nevada, too, he was elected District Judge. He was married in 1877 to Alice Maynard of Carson City, Nevada. She had travelled from Maine to California with her mother, tracing the route across the isthmus of Panama earlier taken by Goodwin. She and her husband were parents of a son born in Virginia City and, later, a daughter born in Salt Lake City. As the Comstock boom faded in 1880, the Goodwins left Virginia City and came to Utah, where the judge was interested in mining in the southern part of the state. But fate intervened. The Tribune was in need of an editor with the courage of his convictions and the ability to express them. Charles Goodwin accepted the position, which he would hold for 20 years with scarcely ever a vacation. He was a bulwark of strength for his newspaper during the bitter fights which took place on Salt Lake City's journalistic front in that time. In 1883 Goodwin and P. H. Lannan purchased controlling interest in the Tribune with a $60,000 loan from John W. Mackay, one of a group of Californians who had acquired huge fortunes from gold mining in their own state and from the Comstock Lode's silver deposits. Mackay's cohorts also became famous as builders of railroads and telegraph systems. Tribune staff members speculated at the time that the $60,000 was not a loan, but a gift. The Tribune was sold in 1901, ostensibly to Perry S. Heath, but more probably to Senator Thomas Kearns and David Keith, prominent mining men. Goodwin then became editor of Goodwin's Weekly, a publication his son, J. T. Goodwin, had established in 1902. In addition to those duties, in 1906 Goodwin began writing a daily full page of editorials for The Evening Telegram. He carried out this routine for eight years, until January 24, 1914. His three books of remembrances were The Comstock Club 543
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 549-UPA_Page543.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416554
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416554