Contents

Page101

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page101
Description "YOUNG" PAPERS THAT ACTUALLY ARE OLD H. Pulver, a former Nephi newsman. The two papers were both buried in the same year as the Hummer. E. G. Rognon. an early president of Utah Press Association, joined with E. H. Scott to create the next venture, the Pay son Globe, in February, 1893. By early Payson standards, it was successful, continuing to be published until October 19, 1898 when it was merged into the Globe-Header. The Header had come upon the scene early in 1896 with F. A. Huish and T. E. Hinshaw as co-publishers. They would be succeeded, in order, by Eugene Pulver, J. Albert McClellan and R. A. Porter, before the paper was absorbed into another new publication, The Paysonian. Pulver had returned in 1918 to help create The Paysonian in partnership with T. F. Tolhurst, Lawrence Jorgenson and a group of business and professional men. The publication continued with Jorgenson at the helm until 1921, when W. E. Ellsworth took charge. Though there are no files to support it, the supposition is that today's Payson Chronicle was, in fact, a continuation of the Paysonian. Alter, in Early Utah Journalism, notes that on January 5, 1933, a Chronicle article stated it was beginning its 40th year with that issue. "Thus," Alter opined, "claiming an ancestry under several different names in the past!" L. E. Stephenson was owner of the Chronicle in 1923 and in February, 1924, was succeeded by Elisha and Ezra Warner of the nearby Spanish Fork Press. Later that year the name of A. B. Kennedy appeared on the masthead, followed by James Henry Mountford on February 10, 1926. Mountford, who had published the Millard County Progress for six years before selling it in November, 1925, launched a time-span of 16 years during which the Chronicle would be in his family. He died in 1931, leaving it to his sons, James Harold (Dick) and Francis W. (Frank). Though quite young, they successfully operated the paper until January 20, 1942 when they moved to the Wasatch Wave in Heber City, selling the Payson paper to Elisha Warner. He brought his son, Max, into the newspaper in 1943 and on March 15, 1947 the father and son completed its sale. Max was 101
Format application/pdf
Identifier 112-UPA_Page101.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416112
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416112