Contents

Page89

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page89
Description "YOUNG" PAPERS THAT ACTUALLY ARE OLD longest period under one publisher in the paper's history. Which, indeed, it was. LEWISTON A new newspaper, the Cache Valley Citizen, came to Lewiston on October 20, 1962 when Wayne Bell and J. Walter Ross of the Preston Citizen produced a first edition. Renamed the Cache Citizen, it was moved October 26, 1972 to Smithfield, marking that community's first newspaper since publications descended from the Smithfield Sentinel had closed their doors in 1948. The original Sentinel had begun December 13, 1907 under John W. Harry, a Swiss native who'd previously worked for or published papers in Logan and in Rexburg and Rigby, Idaho. Acquired by his stepson, Erwin R. Dowdel, it was renamed The North Cache News, with the appendage "combined with the Smithfield Sentinel" on April 5, 1935. By 1944 the Smithfield connotation was dropped and in 1945 Dowdel sold the paper to Gilbert McDowell and Clifton E. Hendricksen. McDowell became sole owner of the News as well as the South Cache Courier and both stopped publication in 1948. LOGAN The Cache Citizen, which had moved from Lewiston to Smithfield in 1972, shifted location again six years to the day later, on October 26,1978. It became "a laboratory for journalism students" when its publishers turned it over to Utah State University on January 23, 1985. Journalism faculty members supervised the publication until July 1, 1993 when William Mulvay, longtime publisher of the Hilltop Times at Hill Air Force Base, purchased it. He, in turn, sold it to the present-day publishers, Kathy Heninger and Robert Kinder, on November 9, 1994. In August, 1995 Utah State University ceased its practice of using the publication as a training ground for future print journalists. Logan has, for 93 years, been the home of a respected 89
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 100-UPA_Page89.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416100
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416100