Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL

Page Metadata

Title Page64
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION so many similar undertakings, it expired early in its second year. The Smiths then moved to American Fork in 1894, took over the failing American Fork Item from its founder, Milton Scott, and renamed it The World. The Smiths couldn't change its downward spiral, though, and sold it to co-publishers Dunkley and Scott. They nursed it until 1897, then bowed out. Smith was a rather dogged individual, bent on succeeding in newspapering. But one year seemed to be the limit of his tenure in community papers. Before coming to Kaysville he'd leased the down-on-its-luck Nephi Ensign in 1891 and kept it alive for almost one year to the day. The Kaysville Post appeared in April, 1896 under the guidance of John V. Young. While files are non-existent, newspaper directories of the time indicate the Post was edited by James MacLaren, was printed in Salt Lake City and was dated at both Farmington and Kaysville. MacLaren later became its publisher and presided at its funeral sometime in 1898. Journalism in the Kaysville-Farmington area demonstrated more longevity during the following two decades. On September 6, 1904 the Davis County Argus emerged in Farmington. Its masthead listed David P. Felt as publisher and his son, Frances Vernon Felt, as manager. The former newsman has the distinction of serving three times as president of Utah State Press Association, each term with a different publication. On September 15, 1909, the Argus was purchased by Vernon Felt, who was named manager, and John S. White, who became the editor. Simultaneously its name was changed to The Weekly Reflex. On December 7, 1910 LeRoy Shelby replaced Vernon Felt as manager, Felt becoming associate editor. On February 15, 1911, the Reflex moved to Kaysville, occupying a new building constructed for that purpose. A month later Felt left the paper entirely. His newspaper career was cut short by his death in 1917 at age 33. In the meantime, David P. Felt had become editor of The Argus in Salt Lake City, published by James T. Jakeman, and 64
Format application/pdf
Identifier 076-UPA_Page64.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416075
Reference URL