Contents

Page303

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page303
Description MANAGERS OVER A HALF-CENTURY association's manager for several years. Jacquetta (Jacque) Nelson, who had been an association staff member since 1953, was named Acting Manager upon the departure of Owen. On August 1, 1970, Harry N. Jefferies, whose background was principally with United and Western Airlines, was named Manager. He remained in the position until June 25, 1971 and was followed from August, 1971 through December, 1973 by Richard M. Buys, a newspaper and television advertising salesman. He resigned to become a publisher and was subsequently involved for varying periods of time with the Wasatch Wave of Heber City, the Pay son Chronicle, the Morgan County News, the Park Record and the Summit County Bee of Coalville. His successors, for terms from one to three years, have been Gary Iverson, 1974-75; T. Garry Payne, 1976-77; LeRoy Yorgason, 1977-1981; David Pruden, January, 1981 to February, 1984; Nancy White, June, 1984 to April, 1989 and Janice Keller, the present executive, who began June 1, 1989. Yorgason, who started his career in association management with the Utah position, moved on to the Wisconsin Press Association, where he has enjoyed a long and successful tenure. The association has operated from several offices. At the outset a portion of Western Newspaper Union's location on Pierpont Street was provided and here Hendrik Romeyn and Roy Schonian performed managerial tasks. For a time UPA was housed in the Atlas building and in 1946 was moved to 310 Brooks Arcade building near State and 3rd South streets. It was then relocated to 34 West Broadway, where it remained many years. In June, 1961, in a move under the direction of President J. M. (Jim) Cornwell and Executive Manager Gordon P. Owen and spearheaded by the earlier work of Past President J. Parr Godfrey, the offices were moved to Suite 204, El Paso Natural Gas Building. On June 14, 1973, after much groundwork effort by successive Presidents Howard Stahle and Robert Finney, UPA purchased its own building at 467 East 300 South. Richard M. Buys was the Executive Manager at that time. In 1992, the present location in the Crane Building, 307 West 200 South, was occupied, and the 303
Format application/pdf
Identifier 312-UPA_Page303.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416314
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416314