Contents

Page92

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page92
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION son wrapped up journalism studies at the University of Utah and returned to the Times-Independent After their marriage, he was joined as co-publisher by his wife, Adrien, also a UofU journalism graduate. Loren L. Taylor, who passed away July 9, 1972, is commemorated in the Newspaper Hall of Fame. MONTICELLO Although Monticello was settled in April, 1880, its first newspaper, the San Juan Record, wasn't started until September 29, 1915. And its history records no less than 19 publishers in the ensuing eight decades. The paper was begun by a corporation consisting of a group of men who were mostly from Moab. Oscar W. McConkie was editor and manager. H. E. Blake succeeded McConkie on September 12, 1917 and two years later a company formed by residents of Monticello and Blanding acquired the property. Purchasing the equipment of the failed Moab Independent, they created the first home-printed edition of the Record on December 13, 1919. Leslie T. Foy was the editor, succeeded on March 10,1920 by Albert R. Lyman. The Monticello State Bank was the next owner after foreclosure proceedings, beginning a 14-year period of time when it would have the major financial interest in the publication. H. E. Blake leased the plant on June 15, 1921 and a month later committed to purchase it. He was the publisher until April, 1931 when it again reverted to the bank. J. L. Oliver became lessee-manager that month, but turned it back December 30, 1932. William T. Igleheart, formerly with Price and Helper newspapers, was then employed by the bank to run the paper, producing it at the Times-Independent plant in Moab. On March 1, 1933 J. P. May, whose experience was principally with Duchesne and Uintah County publications, bought the Record and on May 10, 1934 sold it to Marie M. Ogden, director of a religious society known as "Home of Truth." Her resident manager was Charles S. Wilkinson, long associated with Cedar City and St. George newspapers. On 92
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 103-UPA_Page92.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416103
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416103