Contents

Page136

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page136
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION The result of that invitation follows: The Deseret News A potpourri of events -- historical, happy and tragic -- have paraded through the pages of the Pulitzer Prize-winning Deseret News during its 145-year history. The oldest operating business in Utah and the second oldest newspaper west of the Mississippi, the Deseret News began publication June 15,1850, when Utah was known as the "State of Deseret" and just eight months after the New Mexican of Santa Fe, New Mexico, had its beginnings. The first issue of the Deseret News, owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, proclaimed a motto, "Truth and Liberty," ideals that have guided the newspaper since that time. A small adobe shack, known as "The Mint," and then the Deseret Store building, both on the site of the former Hotel Utah on Salt Lake's South Temple and Main Streets, were the first homes of the Deseret News. Early editions of the paper were cranked out on a rickety Ramage press that had to be hand-fed one sheet of paper at a time; the press produced only two approximately 7-by-9-inch pages per minute. That's vastly different from the huge, three-story-high offset presses that now reel out one-ton rolls of newsprint. Newspaper Agency Corporation (NAC) presses at 116 Regent Street are capable of producing 60,000 high-quality copies an hour. The Deseret News is temporarily located at 135 Regent Street. Its former home at 30 E. 100 South, which was first occupied in 1968, was demolished in the summer of 1995 to make way for a new eight-story Deseret News Building to be completed in late 1997. The Deseret News, in its temporary location, and in its Opposite page> - Among various plants employed by the Deseret News during its 145 years, this one was used the longest, first occupied in 1926 and headquarters of the paper and Deseret News Press until 1968. 136
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 145-UPA_Page136.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416147
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416147