Contents

Page70

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page70
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION MERCUR This Tooele County mining camp began its life as Lewis-ton and its first newspaper was the Lewiston Mercury, established by C. C. Higgins in July, 1893. In his initial edition, the publisher proclaimed, "The object of the paper is to herald the great richness of the Camp Floyd Mining District. . . and to take a few chestnuts out of the fire for our own consumption . . . perchance become a bonanza king -or a mining expert in yellow laced boots." By the Fall of that year the town numbered 100 citizens, which prompted Higgins to report, "Lewiston now has a general store, a weekly paper, an eating house, very few idle men, great expectations and a population of 100 souls." The paper's banner changed to the Mercur Mercury when the community was renamed and in 1899 Higgins departed, leaving management in the hands of George Ferguson. The Utah County Democrat commented, "We regret Brother Higgins' retirement. He founded the Mercury when Mercur was young and when he was obliged to use a tent for a printing office. He is one of the few eminently financially successful newspapermen in Utah." By 1900, when Mercur's population had swollen to 2,351, James N. Louder, formerly of the Silver Reef Miner, was the publisher. By that time there was a competitor, the Mercur Miner, published by James T. Jakeman. Two papers were one too many and the Mercury closed its doors. The Miner had begun in December, 1895 and two years later was under the guidance of Norman B. Dresser. By 1903 Mercur had reached the zenith of its population, nearly 5,000. And when the last mine closed March 30, 1913, it became a ghost town. With its death, needless to say, the Miner perished as well. Perhaps Mercur's demise could be described in terms similar to those attributed to Samuel F. Clemens (Mark Twain). Hearing reports that he had succumbed, the noted writer penned, "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated. " Mercur, too, showed itself to be a rather active, though undeveloped, corpse three-quarters of a century later. 70
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 082-UPA_Page70.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416081
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416081