Contents

Page485

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page485
Description THE UTAH NEWSPAPER HALL OF FAME companies, so did not participate in the Journal's difficult financial times which led to two different ownerships and finally, an 1889 change of name to the Logan Journal. Earl rejoined the newspaper under owner R. W. Sloan, who contemporaries asserted "published the best paper Cache Valley ever had," and became its mechanical foreman. Thus when an opportunity came to lease the struggling publication, he joined its bookkeeper, Charles England, in testing their publishing talents. It was a successful test. In 1900 the partners organized Earl and England Publishing Company, with Jesse as president, and purchased the newspaper. It was an arrangement which would be undisturbed for the next three decades. England supervised editorial content and on February 11, 1897 acquired the services of an outstanding editor in Augustus Gordon. He would guide the paper's news writing for 36 years before his death on November 10, 1929. In his book, Early Utah Journalism, newspaper historian J. Cecil Alter wrote, "Mr. Gordon became one of the state's outstanding journalists." Meanwhile, Earl gradually developed one of the most complete printing plants outside Utah's metropolitan area. When far-sighted Loganites created a hydro-electric generating plant at the mouth of the canyon above their city, the Journal, in March 1896, became Utah's only newspaper with an electric-powered press. Electricity also began to melt the lead in its Linotypes a few years later, another innovative move. On January 1, 1917 the Logan Journal became a daily newspaper and maintained that frequency throughout the remainder of the Earl and England ownership. Observers praised them for their editorial insistence on good government policies and for reflecting the individual social life of both city and county. It was felt the Journal equally represented the various civic and religious groups and its files formed an accurate and interesting history of the Cache County communities which formed its circulation base. The co-owners were both active in Utah State Press Asso- 485
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 492-UPA_Page485.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416496
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416496