Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL

Page Metadata

Title Page82
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION World War II were initially responsible for the change; financial gains realized from the twice-a-week operation in comparison with the daily frequency made it advantageous to maintain in later years. On August 1, 1942, the paper was sold to Charles W. Claybaugh and William M. (Bill) Long, former Kansas newsmen. Long and Alwayne (Waynie) Claybaugh produced the paper while her husband, known as "Clay," was in the World War II military. He returned in 1945 and in 1950 the Clay-baughs purchased Long's interest. For many years the Brigham City papers were "twin weeklies," the News the early-week edition, the Journal the later product. Claybaugh was the publisher emeritus at the time of his death, June 9, 1975 and has been installed in the Newspaper Hall of Fame. The publication remains today in his family, published by son Charles C. (Tuff) Claybaugh. Neither the News nor the Journal was Brigham City's first newspaper. That honor belonged to the oft-quoted Brigham Bugler, founded June 14, 1890 by Mansfield L. Snow. It was described by Alter in Early Utah Journalism as "well received and generously patronized." Alter continued, "On the other hand, it earned what it received, for it gave an excellent news service, presented in splendid form." A brief competitor, the Herald, came and went early in 1891 and the following year the Brigham City Report arrived on the scene, edited by J. B. Jacobsen and managed by A. N. Rosenbaum. Its motto, beneath the page one flag, proclaimed it to be "Fearless, Faithful and Free." It began March 24, 1892 and was incorporated with the Inter-Mountain News, which had the same publishing team, on May 16, 1903. Lynn P. Parry became the owner in 1907 and on February 22, 1908, the paper ceased publication. The Box Elder Voice was launched March 1, 1894 by A. B. Thomson, known to colleagues as "Milo Zip." When it was joined a month later by the News, the community had three papers. That undoubtedly contributed to the Voice closing on April 20, 1895. The Bugler, which Alter describes as "no better 82
Format application/pdf
Identifier 094-UPA_Page82.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416093
Reference URL