Contents

Page659

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page659
Description THE UTAH NEWSPAPER HALL OF FAME Masterful makeup combined with well-edited copy resulted in General Excellence laurels on not only the state but the national level. All three of his publications at one time or another captured top Utah Press awards. Few even knew Harrison's other given name was William and none so-referred to him. Born in Provo, he was a son of Don W. and Harriet Ann Harrison Conover. He attained his entire education in his hometown, graduating from Provo High School and Brigham Young University. His college years were interrupted by an LDS Church mission in Tahiti, where he first experienced publishing when he was delegated to edit and produce a mission paper. In 1933, he launched Conover Printing in Springville and on January 4, 1934, he became editor and manager of the Springville Herald, succeeding Nephi C. Hicks, who'd held that position since 1927. The paper, owned by the Provo Herald, was descended from the Springville Independent, founded August 20, 1891. Three decades later, when it was purchased by A. Frank Gaisford Sr., its name was changed to the Springville Beacon. It became the Herald-Beacon in 1924 when it was acquired by the Provo daily and Beacon was dropped from the banner when Hicks was put in charge. Conover edited the Herald for exactly six years before Ed W. Scripps, whose group owned many newspaper properties, agreed to sell him the weekly. Harrison later admitted it was a grudging concession on Scripps1 part, kindled by his threat to instigate a competing publication. On January 4, 1940, Harrison's title changed to that of Publisher. Simultaneously, he moved production into his newly-opened Art City Publishing plant, for the Herald had been printed in Provo for two decades. He'd demonstrated an aggressive editorial flair while an employee. One innovative idea, begun early in 1934 and continued for years, was brief, thought-provoking, 200-word locally-motivated editorials in a page one box. With the nation in the throes of "The Great Depression," newspaper crusades 659
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 665-UPA_Page659.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416670
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416670