Contents

Page129

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page129
Description SUBURBAN SALT LAKE PAPERS STRUGGLED year of competition in UPA's Better Newspaper Contest, captured both General Excellence and Community Service blue ribbons. Unable to generate an adequate advertising base, however, the paper closed its doors on September 15, 1966. The Inter-Mountain Catholic, a publication of the Roman Catholic diocese of Salt Lake, began on October 7, 1899 under the guidance of Bishop Lawrence Scanlan. Subsequently, each Bishop of the diocese has been the publisher and a succession of editors, including priests, nuns and laymen, have handled its production. It was suspended October 16, 1920 and for many years was a monthly magazine, part of the time originating in San Francisco. On February 2, 1927, the Inter-Mountain Catholic was revived as a weekly newspaper and has continued for the ensuing six-plus decades. Along the way, the hyphen was eliminated in the banner, creating today's Inter-mountain Catholic, which became active in Utah Press Association when membership criteria was broadened to include publications not of general circulation. Attempts to establish a Sugar House weekly were unsuccessful, in the opinion of D. James Cannon, principally because there was no sense of community in the Salt Lake City suburb. Mr. Cannon bought the Sugar House Bulletin from his cousin, Theodore (Ted) Cannon, in 1946 and was its publisher until 1952. Ted Cannon and Wilby Durham had created the suburban weekly during World War II, convinced from their Deseret News experience that an opening existed for such a paper. Jim Cannon sold the paper to Tom and Bob Evans, who made it the News-Bulletin before selling it in January, 1955 to Clair and Emma King, who changed its name to the Southeast Independent. Lessee co-publishers for a brief period of time in 1953 were George Ferguson and Lyman Duncan. On June 9, 1958, Courtney H. and Ruth Brewer acquired the weekly. By the early 1960s Tom Notestine was its publisher, holding the title upon its demise July 21,1960. The South Salt Lake Herald had its beginning early in January, 1937 under publisher Forace Green. It was a general circulation weekly designed to serve the interests of the 129
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 138-UPA_Page129.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416140
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416140