Contents

Page122

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page122
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION Express. Fred L. Watrous, the founding publisher, announced two years later, on May 6, 1910, that the Chieftain would merge with Roosevelt and Duchesne publications to create the Uintah Record, which would be published in Myton. The Myton Free Press came on the scene April 10, 1915, shortly before the Record was moved entirely to Duchesne. C. B. Cook was its publisher. The paper succeeded under his direction until February 5, 1925 when Uinta Basin Publishing Company, composed of G. E. Philipps, W. S. Peatross and Arnold Reef, assumed ownership. Two months later Cook, who had been the victim of ill health, passed away. The depression hastened the end of the Free Press and in August, 1932 its equipment was sold to George P. Price, who not only used it to begin the Lehi Free Press but took the Myton paper's name as well. The community's other publication, the Reservation News, actually pre-dated the Free Press, but had little respect among the area's journalists. Morton Alexander, the initial editor and publisher in 1913, was succeeded in 1917 by F. E. Grant. Its motto, "Always fighting for the plain people and the under dog," prompted its hometown competitor to comment, "Why not just omit the word 'for' and be more consistent?" The neighboring Vernal Express, after intimating the News was a 'scab,' corrected itself in a later issue, saying 'fester' would be a better word. The Eastern Utah Advocate of Price added its insult after the Record had moved to Duchesne, saying "This leaves Myton without a paper; that is excepting the Reservation News." When the News ceased to exist cannot be established since there are no files. PAROWAN The weekly Parowan Times was launched by Alex Rollo, former lessee-manager of the Iron County Record at Cedar City, on October 27, 1915. On February 18, 1921, he returned to the Record and W. 122
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 132-UPA_Page122.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416133
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416133