Contents

Page69

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page69
Description SOME SUCCEEDED; MANY MORE DIDN'T John W. Woodring of the Richfield Reaper took a turn at publishing chores (September 18, 1903-October 7, 1904) before returning it to Gibbs. He, obviously, couldn't breathe life into the failing Free Lance. N. H. (Harry) Felt, who'd left earlier newspaper tracks as an editor in Manti, established the Marysvale Optimist in 1912 - but despite his optimism it expired in 1912 as well. Four years later, in April, 1916, Andrew Jensen established the Piute Chieftain, which came under the direction of Thomas G. Dawson on June 18, 1917 upon Jensen's retirement. Then, in January, 1918, it was acquired by another Hall of Fame publisher, Howard W. Cherry, Sr. On March 20, 1919, he snuffed out the Chieftain, bought the Gunnison Gazette and moved the plant's equipment there. On January 1, 1922, Fred E. Eldredge of Panguitch brought the next paper, the Piute Progress, to Marysvale, which now had a population of 927. The type and a Washington hand press came from Panguitch. Wallace Johnson became the owner exactly two years later and was its publisher when the doors were closed on September 8, 1924. F. A. Jackman purchased the plant, moving it to Junction, the county seat with a population of 389. There he launched the Piute County News on December 26, 1924, labelling it "the successor to the Progress. " From June 5, 1925 until January 1, 1926 it was published by his son, F. B. Jackman. At the outset of 1926, Mrs. Eva B. Swanson purchased the paper, continuing to print it on the antiquated Washington press until July 12, 1937, when A. C. Saunders became the owner and moved it back to Marysvale. All prior files were lost in an August 24, 1933 fire. Harry Swanson was a short-term lessee early in 1936 and Charles M. Giffen then took over. He and his wife, Ruth, were publishers when George R. Swain bought the publication February 7, 1941. He sold it in September, 1946 to Norman J. Fuellenbach and James K. Crawford of Richfield. Crawford briefly had the paper on his own before it was entirely taken over by the Richfield Reaper in June, 1948. On March 1, 1949, the News ceased and was merged into the Reaper. 69
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 081-UPA_Page69.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416080
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416080