Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format application/pdf
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL

Page Metadata

Title Page624
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION ful plant until 1952. Gathering the details that made up the life of Davis County citizens of that time was the editor's primary interest. In order to do it, early in his newspapering days he'd bought a bicycle, on which he rode through the county each week. Through stops at barber shops, the homes of friends, the county court house and any other place where people gathered, he collected the many details which were important to those who read the Clipper. His method was simple, but efficient. He wrote notes on a pad of paper which he always kept handy in his pocket. He had learned to be frugal over the lean years, so when he reached home he scrawled the news on the unprinted side of ready print sheets which he'd cut into small squares in order to save money. With a stubby, soft-lead pencil, he chronicled Davis County events for more than six decades. His strong nose for news helped him wring information from people who said they "knew no news." For a time his bike riding was even more strenuous. He took over the Morgan Post in 1909 after its founder was unable to keep it in production. Riding the train up Weber Canyon, his bike alongside, Stahle spent the night with a relative. The next morning he rode his bicycle down the canyon and back to Bountiful - no small distance on a pedal-driven conveyance. Typesetting was difficult for a time. Doing it by hand was far too slow, so early in the morning of one day each week, he took his notes to Salt Lake City where Williamsen's Typesetters machine-set his news while he wrote more. In the evening he took the train back to Woods Cross, then carried an average of eight galleys of type more than two miles to Bountiful. In the early 1900s Stahle bought a Model 1 Linotype from the Salt Lake Tribune. The machine had been slightly damaged in a fire and no one could make it operate. Years later when he was about 15 years of age, Stahle's only child, John Jr., started running the machine. He would be a competent 624
Format application/pdf
Identifier 630-UPA_Page624.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416635
Reference URL