Contents

Page48

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page48
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION purchased the paper, putting the family's name on the masthead again after a lapse of six decades. Two other early Utah papers fit this category although their lineage is somewhat contorted and traceable only through other publications. They are: Lehi Free-Press It might be considered a "direct" descendant of the early-day Banner, but in an "indirect" way. It traces its roots through the Sun to the Banner, the community's first paper, which began publication May 29, 1891. The group of Lehi businessmen who instigated the Banner had bought the plant of the defunct Nephi Ensign from co-owners John T. Field and W. J. Shimmin, who had acquired it from future Hall of Fame publisher James H. Wallis on January 14, 1891. The Banner's first editor was George Webb, who trained his son, Walter, as his replacement. But in 1897 he resumed the editor's role when the beet sugar industry proved more enticing than newspapering to his eldest heir. Webb sold the paper in 1906 to Lehi businessman James W. Kirkham. An entrepreneur with an eye for opportunity, Kirkham developed a well-equipped plant, acquired the American Fork Citizen and the Pleasant Grove Review, then built the Utah Farmer into a highly-successful organ before selling it to the Deseret News. He sold the Banner to Will Ross, the community's onetime Postmaster, in 1913. On August 5, 1914, A. Frank Gaisford, Sr. unveiled the Lehi Sun and three years later, on May 30, 1917, Ross sold the Banner to his competitor. The Free Press began life in 1932, under publisher George P. Price. In great measure it was a reaction to Gaisford moving his printing plant to American Fork and the inaugural issue of the newcomer carried this statement: "The people of Lehi will again have a weekly newspaper printed in Lehi by Lehi citizens." Price, a longtime Sun staff member, purchased the 48
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 060-UPA_Page48.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416059
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416059