Contents

Page76

Update item information
Title UPA A Century Later
Subject Newspapers; Newspaper publishing; Journalism
Creator Utah Press Association
Publisher Utah Press Association
Contributors Cornwell, J. M.
Date 1996
Type Text
Format image/jpeg
Identifier PN4844.U8 U8 1996
Source Original Book: UPN A Century Later
Language eng
Rights Management Digital image copyright 2005, University of Utah. All rights reserved.
Holding Institution University of Utah
Source Physical Dimensions 14 cm x 21.5 cm
Metadata Cataloger Kelly Taylor
ARK ark:/87278/s6319w0z
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416710
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z

Page Metadata

Title Page76
Description UTAH PRESS ASSOCIATION 1908 revived the Washington County News. This time it succeeded and Wallis remained at the helm until December 8, 1927, when he leased it to John F. Stauffer. Edgar R. Simpson, a Californian intent on improving his health through the Dixie climate, bought the News on April 1, 1933. On July 10, 1947, he sold the property to Clyde and Nora Lyman and they, on June 30, 1958, transferred it to Francis W. (Frank) Mountford, formerly of the Wasatch Wave and the Pay son Chronicle. Upon his death, October 10,1973, his sons Asa and James, became owners and co-publishers. In March, 1986 they sold the paper to John Rogers, former resident publisher of the Color Country Spectrum, a daily which had developed in St. George. Rogers published the News until March 1, 1988, when its doors were closed. SANDY Though it had a relatively-early newspaper and intermittently has had publications bearing a local dateline during more than a century, Sandy has yet to enjoy a long-term paper with its name in the masthead. Brothers Charles P. and Isaac E. Diehl, newsmen with Nebraska roots, provided the community its first paper, the Independent, in December, 1893. They didn't tarry long in the southern extremes of Salt Lake County, passing the publication on to John E. Hartvikxen in its second year. Somewhat surprisingly, it might be added, since the Brigham Bugler had editorially observed early in the Independent's life, "It is a brisk and well patronized new venture in the journalistic field." Its second publisher, he of the unusual name, Hartvikxen, sold to James H. Hayford on October 3, 1897. And the Independent moved from there to obscurity, leaving only an occasional edition in private collections to prove it had existed. The Sandy Sentinel arrived and departed in 1899, a venture of the widely-travelled and seldom successful James Jakeman. In 1912, W. D. S. Harrington briefly tested Sandy newspaper waters with his Enterprise, failing swiftly. A year later J. S. Barlow of the Murray Eagle began the Sandy Star. 76
Format image/jpeg
Identifier 088-UPA_Page76.jpg
Source Original Book: UPA A Century Later
Setname uu_upa
Date Created 2005-05-10
Date Modified 2005-05-10
ID 416087
Reference URL https://collections.lib.utah.edu/ark:/87278/s6319w0z/416087